What is the Microcosmic orbit:
The Microcosmic Orbit is a classic Taoist & Qigong Meditation for circulating chi through different meridian channels and connecting acupuncture points throughout the body. I first learned about it when studying Spring Forest Qigong with Master Chuyni Lin and have since used it to improve my health, relax, open the flow of Qi in my energy channels and as a form of rejuvenating meditation. It is a great starting point for Qi Gong, energy meditation and cultivating chi in general.
What are the benefits of doing the Microcosmic orbit:
I’ve used the microcosmic orbit frequently when I feel a cold coming on (it really helps to enhance your immune system), to relax the body and focus chi, and even to simply balance myself. Or help me get to sleep.This exercise is a great addition to a normal meditation practice because it requires you to clear your mind, focus your attention (in this case on acupuncture points) and relax your body. After running through the orbit three or four times slowly, you will feel balanced and rejuvenated.
How exactly do you do the Microcosmic orbit:
Start playing some gentle music in the back ground if you have it but it’s not necessary. The goal here is to center yourself, clear your mind, start with taking three gentle healing deep breaths and start your meditation by focusing on the Dan Tien, just below and behind your navel (where the start arrow is on the diagram) until you feel your attention pinpoint on that area. You then proceed through each point on this diagram, moving down from the Dan Tien then up through the acupuncture points on the back, over the head and back down the points on the front of the body.
If the instructions sound simple it’s because I’ve tried not to over complicate it. Here are some extra tips that will really help you benefit from this exercise:
- Close your eyes while doing the microcosmic orbit
- Make sure you are in a quiet area where you won’t be disturbed
- Visualize a white or gold ball of energy from the beginning of the exercise, moving/rolling along the centre channels along the back and front of the body through each acupuncture point
- Try to feel each point before moving onto the next point
- When moving from one point to the next, visualize connecting them until the full orbit is connected
- It’s important to touch the tongue to the upper palate of the mouth to fully connect the orbit, it’s called the switch (connects the governing and conception channels)
- Run through the microcosmic orbit freely while taking deep breathes, and enjoy the process
Dawn Cormier, ND
Reiki Master and Qigong Practitioner